Pages

Friday, April 25, 2014

Re-prioritizing

Lately, I've spent far too much in my own head worrying about my weight.  It sounds silly, I know, but I've worried about my weight for as long as I can remember (thank heavens I had a mama and sisters who were always so kind to me about my body, or it would probably be an even bigger issue).  I have really struggled, and failed, to get back to my pre-Lettie pregnancy weight.  I had chipped away a few pounds lately, finally, and this morning, stepped on the scale to see they had all returned.  My poor, dear, husband tried his best to understand my distress, and I just, well, pouted.  While I generally feel we eat well, it could be diet-related, nursing-related, thyroid-related, ugh, so many things.  Well, guess what? 

I quit. 

This is not what I want taking up my brain space in the few sweet years I have with my babies at home.  Yes, I want to be healthy.  Yes, I will continue working out when possible and feeding our family real, healthy, food. Yes, I will request a follow-up blood test to see if my thyroid medicine needs to be adjusted.  No, I am not getting back on that scale. Yes, I'm going to do my darndest to stop noticing that everyone who gave birth at the same time I did looks amazing.

I have two healthy, happy, sweet, little girls.  They don't care what shape I am; they care more if I am happy, and that I have the ability to read to them, sing with them, chase them around the yard, and make them yummy things to eat.

It's time to find happier things to occupy my thoughts, and one of those is shouting for her mama to save her from nap time, so now is as good a time as any.   

8 comments:

  1. Might I suggest getting rid of the scale? I have many similar issues, and finally got rid of the scale a few years ago. It makes me less focused on a number, and more focused on how I'm feeling overall. Not that I don't struggle still, but I'm much more forgiving with myself, especially post-partum. Prayers for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good suggestion! I actually talked with my husband about doing that last night... it's going in the donate pile today! That number can ruin a good mood for a whole day, and it's just not worth it.

      Delete
  2. We've never owned a scale and if we are blessed with another pregancy I'm thinking about asking my doc not to tell me my weight. Not owning a scale is probably what has kept me from going crazy about all the body changes that come with two babies. Good choice to get rid of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smart! I have a friend who always has the nurse way her with her standing backwards on the scale so she doesn't have to see and worry about it.

      Delete
  3. You are always loved, regardless of what size or weight or anything. Even mood, although those high kicks can get ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a smart woman to let go of worrying about your weight!!! Get rid of the scale! Nourish your family's bodies and minds with healthy food, and lots of playing and reading and loving. What matters is that you are healthy and present to your family. My doctor asked me my weight the other day and I couldn't even answer because I just. don't. care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I am obsessing about my weight this pregnancy, so why don't you leave all that worry to me for a while? This time, I never managed to return to prepregnancy weight before the next pregnancy, but I decided that's because God didn't want me at pre-preggo weight. You take goog care of yourself, and that will be more than good enough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look great in all your pictures!

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love getting comments, but please be respectful and kind!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...